-
November 20th, 2008, 08:14 PM
#1
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi Racer,
When I ran PA's back in the 80's in Oz we used to use what we called Roy bins & these look very similar. Differences were the Roy's had 2 x 12's. Used to use double W for the botom end, 2 Roys for the mids & horns on top. Don't know the origin or even why they were called Roys.
Good luck with these.
-
November 20th, 2008, 10:13 PM
#2
Inactive Member
They are Gollehon cabinets. (is that spelled right ???...) I've never seen a pair like that. Anyone familiar with them ?
-
November 20th, 2008, 11:14 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by RacerXtreme:
They are Gollehon cabinets. (is that spelled right ???...) I've never seen a pair like that. Anyone familiar with them ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So did you buy them?
I like this line in the add
"c. 1-15" soundtech speaker- didnt work when i tried it out so its free to the first person who buys something else."
so did you get the elcheapo blown woofer too :-)
-
November 21st, 2008, 12:08 AM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
I had never heard of Gollehon until now. I did a little Googling and found it was a Michigan company.
http://www.gollehonbooks.com/BioPage.htm
Plus, a patent
http://www.google.com/patents?id=jhQ...4620&as_psrg=1
-
November 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM
#5
Inactive Member
http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/913371159.html
Look at the dual 15" horn loaded cabinets.
Gonna look at them this afternoon.
Any ideas as to what they are ?
-
November 21st, 2008, 04:49 AM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
They look like an 817 missing the bass reflex portion of the box.
I wonder if they're Sunn, i think they made some similar boxes back in the day.
-
November 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Gollehon was in Grand Rapids Michigan.
Mi type gear. He was really good at "bang for the buck"
Gollehons tended to be CBL's- cheap big and loud.
He had a mid driver 4660, blew Electro voice 1824M's into the dirt. At half the price. Bought probably a couple hundred from him, was at his manufacturing loft half a dozen times.
He was the first semi-pro builder to do molded plastic horns..circa 1970, now they have virtually taken over the low end.
John Gollehon is the fellow's name. Pretty much retired, he still uses the Gollehon Industries name for his publishing company.
Sometime early '80's St. Louis music (Crate, et al) went on a buying spree, they acquired Ampeg.
They negotiated a deal with Gollehon to buy his entire output...the huge stuff was pretty much discontinued. SLM marketed the stuff as "Audio Centron"
Last I saw his mid and HF drivers were marketed by a company called P.R.O. Systems in New york, they died after a couple bankruptcies a few years back,
The 4660 Gollehon is still a decent mid driver, and parts are still available to fix it.
Gollehon should be particle board boxes, stamped frame woofs. Louder than stink, and cheap to buy.
Unfortunately only a few dealers recognized the marketability of his stuff..he needed a partner who could promote...
Haven't seen or talked to John since about 1885, I believe he is still breathing air...
-
November 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
it's a real plain looking thing...kinda like...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-COMPRESSION-...3A1|240%3A1318
A google for 4660RD brings up phragms. Martin Sound in Cleveburg still has NOS. There are actually some I installed 35 years ago still in service.
I did notice one site discussing them as an upgrade to Klipsch. Apparently some thought they were better than Atlas also.
The Gollehon went up to 5-6k better than the EV. With some piezos on top it could be made to sound pretty good, at least as good as MI stuff is gonna be.
I mean, you simply can not compare an EV 1824 to an Altec 290...the 4660 though was almost as smooth as a 290 at moderate levels....and the extra upper mid allowed for binging piezos in around 6-7k where they worked a lot better... obviously at higher volumes the 290 was far superior..but in a music store most of your customers play in pubs, not concerts. Or churches or...
And musicians are usually poor..so a $60 driver way outsold the more expensive stuff..add to that Altec was ****** about letting music stores have 290's, but JBL felt no such qualms...
Anybody who says piezos don't need a crossover is just plain wrong...
-
November 22nd, 2008, 04:24 AM
#9
Inactive Member
1885 ?
Just how old are you O.G. ?
Seriously tho, thanx 4 the history lesson.
I'm not that familiar w/ Gollehon cabinets. Seen some of the more common ones over the years but never like the one in that ad. Do you think those horn-loaded dual 15" cabinets would sound o.k. w/ some decent drivers in them ? What would you recommend ? They are not a bass reflex design. Think he had Black Widows in them before.....
-
November 22nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
#10
Inactive Member
Did a google search of "Gollehon 4660" and came up w/ nothing. Any idea where I can find a photo ?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks